Jan 22, 2012

What a Month!!!


Josh was a great help with packing... I have many little surprises along the way with random things in boxes. He thought it was so fun to put everything into boxes but wondered why we don't dump it out after. He's really into dumping EVERYTHING he can get his hands on. I call him my "human tornado".









So, this past month has been the craziest month EVER! I will just mention everything that happened in quick point form so you can get a feel for the caos.





  • Mark started a new job teaching at MacEwan University (he teaches an intro to accounting class) and he is so far absoltutley Loving it!




  • Mark started a new job working for a small accounting firm Called "Miniely, Tower, Hughes & Associates"... he's one of the "associates".




  • I (Marie) started a new job doing Home Care Nursing. I'm able to pick up small shifts here and there whenever I want, so it works good and i don't have to leave josh with anyone other than Mark.


  • We Moved.



  • The night we got posession we noticed the downstairs doorway was FAR too small to fit our washer and dryer. SO.... Mark stayed up till 1:30 AM with our Brother in Law, James Bishop and knocked down the wall. We were going to have to do it at some point so we figured why not now? the washer and dryer it came with looked less useful than a washboard. All is well now, we just need to rebuild the wall soon.

  • With the move has come many wonderful adventures... Starting with a plumbing issue in the basement hooking to our main water line- also a leak in the upstairs shower and under the bathroom sink. Two plumber days later all is fixed in this department. This plumbing entailed having the city come and turn our water off which took a little over 5 hours as there were some problems there. But I think it was meant to be, because I was able to give a Book of Mormon to the Epcor guy which was really cool.



  • Next we had a minor Electrical problem in the basement. The telus man and i had some fun taking off many ceiling panels uncovering many cut wires. I also experienced many not so exciting SHOCKS when I turned on different light switches in the basement. SO... one hour of electrical work later, this is now fixed.


  • Next, we found out our first sunday at church that this house used to be owned by someone who used to live in the ward and has a very "exciting" flooding history. I'm sure you can't imagine how excited I was to hear this. It truly made the week.



  • Next I signed us up for a Flood prevention inspection which will be conducted by a city of edmonton engineer (all free woohoo) and they will be doing an in-depth inspection this week with cameras in our walls and pipes etc and we may quailify for some subsidy.



  • THEN... saturday I was shoveling the walks and smelled gas... I had mark go smell as well to make sure I wasn't making it up (by this point I am sure this house is haunted or something) and sure enough we had a huge gas leak. I called Atco and an Awesome man came and redid our entire gas-line to our house all the way inside... again Free! He also detected a problem with our water heater and fixed that because he was nice.



  • also in the midst of all the fun, add on the fact that josh got Three teeth this week which wasn't very fun for him. He is doing great though and loves all the space to play!


  • And to answer your question... Did we get an inspection prior to buying? yes we did. Helpful so far? not so much.



I think that's all that has happened so far... by this point we just laugh and aren't surprised by anything anymore. Life is fun that's for sure!




Even though this house has thrown a lot at us this week, we still love it and are happy to be here.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Lots going on at the new house! I'm glad you got everything fixed and that you love it. Hope the rest of the month is uneventful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel for you, Marie! We are going through a similar scenario where we bought a house that seems to need a lot of unexpected work. One example: The roof was inspected and deemed to be in "fair to good condition for its age" which apparently meant that it needed to be completely replaced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my goodness! i feel for YOU! our problems aren't that big... yet anyways. We are just tackling them one step at a time. I'm learning lots, that's for sure.

      Delete